Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jason Ivler faces more charges ....

Aside from the killing of a MalacaƱang official’s son, Filipino-American Jason Ivler faces more charges for his attack on an arresting team of the National Bureau of Investigation, which resulted in injuries to two operatives.

At a press conference on Monday, NBI Director Nestor Mantaring said that Ivler would face charges of assault on agents or persons in authority, resisting arrest and illegal possession of firearms.

“We have yet to verify if the firearms recovered from him are licensed,” the director explained, referring to an M-16 rifle and a .45 caliber revolver recovered from Ivler’s possession.

During Monday’s NBI raid at Marlene Aguilar’s posh home along Hillside Drive in Blue Ridge A in Libis, Quezon City, Ivler engaged NBI men in a shootout, which resulted in injuries to NBI Special Action Unit (SAU) head and lawyer Angelito Magno and NBI Intelligence Service agent Anna Labao.

Magno sustained a graze wound in the right thigh while Labao sustained shrapnel wounds in the chest, which Mantaring said could have been caused by a bullet that had ricocheted. Both agents were declared out of danger while Ivler remains confined at the Quirino Memorial Medical Center.

Mantaring and Magno said the .45-pistol recovered from Ivler would be subjected to ballistics matching to determine "if it was the same firearm used in the roadrage shooting (of Renato Victor Ebarle Jr.)”

“We previously checked with the Firearms and Explosives Division (FED) if he (Ivler) had firearms licensed to him. We found out there was no gun licensed to Ivler. But this is different now. We actually recovered firearms from him and we have to check the serial numbers of the guns in the FED records,” he explained.

The additional charges against Ivler will be filed with the Department of Justice.

Ivler was arrested by joint operatives of the NBI and the Philippine National Police (PNP) after several months of hiding

Chief Superintendent Elmo San Diego, Quezon City police district chief, earlier said Ivler resisted arrest and was wounded in a gunfight with authorities.

Ivler sustained four gunshot wounds: the stomach, chest, shoulder, and leg and is being treated at the Quirino Memorial Medical Center.

NBI Deputy Director for Intelligence Service and lawyer Ruel Lasala said the encounter happened at around 6 a.m. Monday.

"Our operatives went to the house to serve the arrest warrant and Ivler fought back and shot our agents," Lasala told the Inquirer.

San Diego said Ivler was arrested inside his home at #23 Hillside Avenue, Blue Ridge Subdivision.

San Diego said Pollard will be facing charges of obstruction of justice, coddling, and providing asylum to a criminal.

Murder charges have already been filed against Ivler, the prime suspect in the killing of Renato Ebarle Jr., a son of Presidential Chief of Staff Undersecretary Renato Ebarle Jr., during a traffic altercation on November 18 at the corner of Santolan Road and Ortigas Avenue.

Police already raided Ivler’s Blue Ridge home earlier, but failed to arrest Ivler.

“We have different intelligence information than that of the NBI,” San Diego said.
Ebarle, in an interview over the radio, expressed gratitude for the arrest, which happened 60 days after his son was killed.

“Ang daming pinerhwisyo ng taong ito (This person has caused trouble to a lot of people),” he said, adding that the authorities should issue a hold departure order on Ivler.

Quoting a witness who saw the shooting, Ebarle said Ivler shot and killed his only son after failing to overtake his son’s vehicle because a taxi cab blocked his way.

“Humarang sya sa harap ng anak ko at binaril nya ng tatlong beses. Walang alitan na nangyari (He blocked my son’s vehicle and shot him three times. There was no argument at all),” he said, quoting the witness who was three cars behind.

Ivler is the nephew of musician Freddie Aguilar and stepson of Asian Development Bank economist Stephen Pollard, who is married to Ivler’s mother, Marlene Aguilar Pollard.

Just before the New Year, an overseas Filipino worker, Jason Aguilar, was arrested and detained in Qatar before he was deported to the Philippines several days later.

E-mail me,JUST CLICK here!!
Facebook me!